About Qatar Airways
If you’re planning to travel with Qatar Airways, it’s important to familiarize yourself with Qatar Airways baggage allowance policy to avoid packing too much or bringing prohibited items. Additionally, if your luggage exceeds the weight or size limit, you may be required to pay an additional fee, but this varies based on your ticket type and travel route.
Qatar Airways is the flag carrier of Qatar, which is a seven-time winner of the prestigious ‘Airline of the Year’ award. It is headquartered in the Qatar Airways tower, Doha. It operates a hub-and-spoke network to over 170 destinations across five continents from its base at Hamad International Airport. Passengers have raved about the airline’s top-notch service and flexible policies. However, before you head to the airport to catch your Qatar flight, know how many bags and what are the items you are allowed to bring on board.
Qatar Airways Baggage Allowance Policy
Qatar Airways allows its passengers to bring at least one piece of hand bag and personal item on board as a carry-on. However, as long as the number of pieces checked in does not go beyond the airline’s baggage allowance, there is no restriction on the quantity. Nevertheless, aircraft carrying capacity may impose certain restrictions.
Carry-on Baggage Allowance
Qatar Airways provides a cabin baggage allowance Qatar Airways for all passengers, which includes one piece of hand luggage and a personal item. However, certain classes may permit multiple pieces of hand luggage. Review the following points to familiarize yourself with Qatar Airways’ policies regarding cabin baggage.
- Passengers in First Class and Business Class are permitted to bring two pieces of hand luggage with them on the plane, but the combined weight must not exceed 33 lbs.
- On the other hand, Economy Class travelers are only allowed one piece of hand luggage, which must not weigh more than 15 lbs.
- Passengers traveling to and from Brazil on Qatar Airways’ Economy Class can bring one piece of cabin baggage, with a weight limit of 22 lbs.
- The size of the hand luggage should not exceed 50 x 37 x 25 cm.
- Passengers flying with Qatar Airways are permitted to bring personal items along with their cabin baggage allowance. These personal items may include a lady’s handbag or a small briefcase, one coat, cape or blanket, an umbrella, a pair of crutches or walking stick, a small camera or binoculars, limited reading material, a carrying basket for infants, and duty-free items purchased on the day of departure.
- Passengers flying with Qatar Airways are permitted to bring safe liquids, gels, pastes, and aerosols in containers that do not exceed 100 ml in their cabin baggage. Any containers that are larger than 100 ml will not be allowed.
- To comply with Qatar Airways’ cabin baggage allowance, the container must be placed in a quart or liter size bag that is transparent and resealable, and it should not exceed 20 x 20 cm.
- Baby food and medication are allowed without any restrictions, but a prescription may be required for medication.
Security Check-in Process on US & UK-Bound Flights for Electronic Gadgets
For Qatar Airways passengers traveling to the UK or USA from Hamad International Airport and carrying personal electronic devices, the following Qatar Airways hand baggage allowance guidelines regarding cabin baggage allowance must be followed:
- Make sure that your personal devices, such as tablets, e-books, and laptops, are turned on when the security personnel at the airport request it during the security screening at the boarding gate.
- Electronic gadgets that are not powered will be kept in a safe area on the plane and will be returned to you upon arrival at your destination. If there are already six or more personal gadgets secured, you must store your device in your check-in luggage, which will be stored in the plane’s cargo hold.
- In case your electronic gadgets cannot be checked in or you don’t have any hand baggage, you’ll have to leave them with the Lost & Found. Upon your arrival, you can claim your item on the airline’s website and retrieve it from the airport.
- Enhanced security screening is mandatory for all personal electronic devices brought on board US-bound flights departing from Doha.
- It is important to have enough battery to demonstrate the functionality of your devices.
- Any electronic gadgets that you do not need during the flight should be packed in your check-in luggage.
Checked Baggage Allowance
The quantity of checked baggage permitted varies based on the flight and booking class. Your ticket with Qatar Airways will indicate the number of pieces you can bring along during your trip. Nevertheless, the typical checked baggage allowance is as follows:
- Your checked baggage must not exceed 158 cm in length, width, and height combined, or 300 cm in weight and shouldn’t weigh more than 70 lbs. If your checked baggage exceeds these restrictions, you may be charged extra fees for oversize or overweight baggage by the airline.
- Checked baggage for Dama flights must not exceed 158 cm in maximum dimension.
- The checked luggage should not be round, irregular-shaped, tied with loose rope or string, wrapped in blankets or have loose straps.
Checked Baggage Allowance Per Class
Qatar Airways baggage allowance varies depending on the cabin class you are flying on. Generally, the airline offers three cabin classes- First Class, Business Class, and Economy Class. Each class passenger is entitled to a different baggage allowance. Check the tables below to know how much you are entitled.
Baggage Allowance for First Class
- Passengers on flight flying to / from all destinations can bring a check bag weighing up to 110 lbs.
- Passengers on flight flying to / from Africa and America can bring two pieces of check bags weighing up to 70 lbs.
- First Class passengers can bring 2 hand baggage weighing up to 33 lbs total.
Baggage Allowance for Business Class
- Business Lite, Business Classic, Business Comfort, and Business Elite passengers on flight to / from all destinations are allowed to carry checked baggage that shouldn’t weigh more than 88 lbs.
- Business Lite, Business Classic, Business Comfort, and Business Elite passengers on flight to / from Africa and America are allowed to carry 2 pieces of 70 lbs each.
- Business Lite, Business Classic, Business Comfort, and Business Elite passengers are allowed to carry 2 pieces of hand bags, which shouldn’t weigh more than 33 lbs.
Baggage Allowance for Economy Class
- Economy Lite passengers on flights to / from all destinations are allowed 44 lbs.
- Economy Classic passengers on flights to / from all destinations are allowed 55 lbs.
- Economy Convenience passengers on flights to / from all destinations are allowed 66 lbs.
- Economy Comfort passengers on flights to / from all destinations are allowed 77 lbs.
- Economy Lite passengers on flights to / from Africa and America are allowed one piece of item of 50 lbs.
- Economy Classic passengers on flights to / from Africa and America are allowed 2 pieces of item of 50 lbs each.
- Economy Convenience passengers on flights to / from Africa and America are allowed 2 pieces of item of 50 lbs each.
- Economy Comfort passengers on flights to / from Africa and America are allowed 2 pieces of item of 50 lbs each.
- Economy Lite passengers can bring 1 piece of hand baggage of 15 lbs on-board.
- Economy Classic passengers can bring 2 pieces of hand baggage of 15 lbs on-board.
- Economy Convenience passengers can bring 1 piece of hand baggage of 15 lbs on-board.
- Economy Comfort passengers can bring 1 piece of hand baggage of 15 lbs on-board.
To avoid extra charges for additional baggage, it’s recommended to buy in bulk beforehand. The fees for excess or overweight luggage vary depending on your travel destinations. By purchasing extra baggage through Qatar Airways’ official website, ticketing offices, or customer contact centers, you can save up to 70% on standard rates and even pre-purchase in bulk.
Baggage Allowance for Infants
Traveling with infants on Qatar Airways is made easy, but it is important for the accompanying adult to adhere to Qatar Airways baggage allowance for infants policy. To learn more about this policy, refer to the following points.
- Infants under the age of 8 are only allowed to travel on the airline on medical grounds. To do so, the passenger must obtain approval from Qatar Medical Center using a MEDIF.
- To avail baggage allowance for infants, it is required to have a certificate from a certified pediatrician stating that the infant is fit to travel and all necessary travel documents for the infant are in place.
- You can bring car seats for infants aged between 6 months to 36 months.
- Each adult is allowed to bring only one infant. If there are more infants in the group (e.g. 4 infants and 3 adults), an extra adult who is at least 16 years old must accompany each additional infant.
- Children who are between the ages of 2 and 5 must be accompanied by an adult who is at least 16 years old and will be charged a child fare. Children who are between the ages of 5 and 12 are permitted to travel alone as unaccompanied minors and will be charged an adult fare.
- Children over 12 years old can travel alone on an adult fare.
- One stroller, collapsible carrycot, pushchair per infant is allowed, free of charge.
- Children and infants traveling on a child fare are eligible for the same baggage allowance as an adult.
- Infants can bring 1 piece of cabin bag of up to 50 lbs.
Baggage Allowance for Passengers with Pet
The airline allows domesticated cats, dogs, and birds as checked baggage, either in cabin, or in cargo hold, or on a separate flight, depending on the international air travel regulation. Additionally, passengers traveling with their pet must notify the airline at least 48 hours prior to the flight’s departure. However, before you bring your pet, read the guideline below:
- You must present the pet’s health certificate that indicates the pet is fit for air travel and a pet passport.
- Service dogs are allowed in the passenger cabin only on certain routes free of charge. On the other routes, service dogs are accepted as checked baggage.
- Passengers can carry one falcon in the Economy Class cabin. A total of six falcons are permitted in Economy class cabins.
- The pet container must be of an adequate size and be equipped with proper ventilation. The container should be large enough, so that the pet can stand up, turn around, and lie down.
- Food and water containers must be affixed within the shipping container with provision to fill it from the outside, without having to open the door.
As per policy, the airline allows all kinds of sports equipment as a checked bag Qatar Airways baggage allowance as part of the free checked baggage allowance. However, passengers need to pay a fee if any sports equipment exceeds the free allowance.
Musical instruments that are delicate or fragile can be carried into the cabin, but a seat ticket must be bought for them. The maximum weight allowed is 75 kg and the maximum length is 120 cm.
On all wide-bodied aircraft (A330, A340 and B777), Qatar Airways offers on-board wheelchairs. Passengers’ personal wheelchairs are transported free of charge and do not affect the baggage allowance.
Qatar Airways Delayed, Lost, or Damaged Baggage Policy
If your baggage is lost, delayed, or damaged, Qatar Airways will make every effort to locate and return it to you. If, however, your luggage does not arrive, you can submit a complaint.
In case your luggage gets damaged, it is imperative that you report it at the designated baggage desk before leaving upon your arrival. Additionally, within seven days of your arrival, you must also submit a written claim via My Baggage.
In case your baggage goes missing during the flight, as per baggage allowance Qatar Airways, it is important to promptly reach out to the Qatar Airways baggage service desk at the airport.
In the event that your baggage is delayed and does not arrive with you at your destination, the airline will commence tracking it within 24 hours of your arrival and ensure that it is delivered to your address. Additionally, if you experience any expenses as a result of the late delivery, the airline will provide compensation.
Qatar Airways has implemented measures to guarantee the safety of its passengers, in accordance with international regulations. As a result, certain items have been restricted from being brought on board, due to their potential to endanger health, safety, property or the environment. Review the list of items that are prohibited on Qatar Airways flights.
- You may carry ammunition, securely packed in Division 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 only, and the quantity should not exceed a gross weight of 5 kg. You can carry ammunition only for your individual use.
- Passengers carrying a firearm in their hold baggage, must hand it over to the airline at the check-in. You will get it back upon your arrival.
- You can carry a drone either in the cabin or as checked baggage. However, the battery must be approved by the airline.
- Smart bags with non-removable lithium batteries are strictly prohibited.
- You can carry e-cigarettes, e-pipes, and other vaporizers as hand baggage.
- Flammable and toxic gas cylinders, toxic liquids and gels, fuel, dry ice or solid carbon dioxide, matches and lighters, electro shock weapons, disabling devices, sharp weapons or objects, powder like substances exceeding 350 ml, drill machines, sow, bolt guns, blow torches, etc. are not allowed.
Qatar Airways Baggage Fees
In the event, you bring extra luggage that exceeds permitted allowance, then as per Qatar Airways international baggage allowance, you must have to pay a fee as baggage charge. You can save on Qatar Airways international baggage allowance by making a reservation at least six hours before your flight takes off. On an average, an excess baggage fee may cost you around US$ 270 to US$ 630 that varies depending on the route.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the baggage allowance for Qatar Economy class?
Qatar Airways passengers on Economy class traveling to all destinations can carry baggage weighing up to 44 to 77 lbs. And Economy Lite passengers on flights to / from Africa and America one to two pieces of items of up to 50 lbs.
Does Qatar Airways allow 2 carry-on bags?
First and Business class passengers on Qatar Airways flights can bring 2 carry-on bags free of charge.
Can I check 3 bags with Qatar?
There are no restrictions on the quantity as long as it meets the airline’s weight allowance. However, it also depends on the destination you are traveling to and the cabin class you are flying on.
What is not allowed in QatarAirways?
Qatar Airways prohibits items that may endanger safety. The item includes firearms, sharp weapons and objects, inflammable and toxic items, liquids, gels, lithium batteries, etc. To know what you can bring on board or which items are strictly prohibited, visit the airline’s official website.
Can I carry medicines on Qatar Airways?
Passengers carrying medicines must produce an original prescription or medical certificate from a prescribing doctor or General Physician before departure.
Is powerbank allowed in flight?
Power Banks are allowed in your cabin luggage, but not in your checked-in luggage.
How do I pay for the extra luggage?
You can pay for the extra luggage at the airport counter, or online, via Qatar Airways official website.
What should I do if my luggage is damaged or delayed?
If you receive damaged luggage or you don’t receive your luggage upon arrival, you must immediately issue a complaint with the airline. However, if you couldn’t lodge a complaint upon arrival, you can do it within 24 hours in the United States and 7 days of arrival for an international destination. If the damage on the luggage was done due to the airline’s fault, then the airlines will compensate you.
Is Economy good on Qatar Airways?
If you are not carrying more than two luggages, then Qatar Airways’ economy class is not only affordable, but also convenient for even long haul flights. From comfortable seats to in-flight entertainment, assortment of snacks and meals, and plenty of leg rooms for you to relax.
Can I carry holy water (zam zam) as checked baggage?
Yes, passengers from their Hajj and Umrah can carry up to five liters of holy water (zam zam) on Qatar Airways flights. If it exceeds five liters, the airline will charge for the excess baggage fees.