Known for receiving 14 times as the best low-cost carrier in Asia by Skytrax, AirAsia has gained its position of being a reliable airline for customers. If you are flying anywhere in Asia, fly on AirAsia to have a rewarding flight experience on board. Capital A Berhad now operating as AirAsia is Malaysia’s multinational low-cost airline with its headquarter at Kuala Lumpur. It is the largest airline in Malaysia in terms of both fleet size and destinations. Currently, AirAsia Airlines operates both domestic and international flights on more than 1666 destinations spanning in 26 countries. The main hub of the airline is located at Kuala Lumpur International Airport Terminal 2 in Sepang, Selangor, Malaysia. The airline also offers affiliated airlines in Asian countries such as AirAsia Cambodia, Thai AirAsia, AirAsia India and more.
Established in 1993, the airline began as a full-service carrier, however, later in 2002, turned into a low-cost carrier. In 2007, the airline was described as the “pioneer” of low-cost travel in Asia by a New York Times and since then, the airline has been consistently rewarded as the best low cost carrier in Asia by Skytrax. Being a no-frill airline, AirAsia Airlines booking offers four types of fare types including Low Fare, Value Pack, Premium Flex and Premium Flatbed.
AirAsia Cabin Configuration
AirAsia has Airbus A320-200 aircrafts features seats depending on fare types. Majorly consisting of economy class, the airline also offers Premium Fare Flex for better flight experience. The aircraft is configured with 180 standard economy seats and 12 Premium Flatbed seats in 1-5 rows. Ultimately, there is no first class in AirAsia as the entire cabin has two types of seat configurations which includes the standard economy and premium economy service called Premium Flatbed.
- While Premium Flatbed offers spacious seats that recline into fully flat bed when desired. AirAsia flight tickets also includes private screen, an adjustable head and footrest as well as a premium duvet and pillow for added comfort. In addition to all these, the seats feature reading lights and universal ports. People travelling in Premium Flatbed fare type also have multiple advantages which includes free baggage allowance up to 40 kg of checked baggage. Along with that, you will have a dedicated Premium Flatbed counter, priority check-in, priority boarding, complimentary meals on board, travel insurance by Tune Protect, and unlimited flight changes up to 2 hours before the scheduled departure of flight.
- Passengers can either choose the standard “no-frill” economy seats or can pay for seats with extra legroom “Hot Seats”. The Hot Seats in AirAsia Airlines are located at the front of the aircrafts from rows 1-5. Passengers travelling on Hot Seats can experience priority services on board as they will be the first to be served and among the first to deboard the flight after arrival. Exit rows of aircraft are also designated to Hot Seat passengers.
AirAsia Airlines Baggage Allowance
It is imperative to know the exact baggage allowance before you start packing. AirAsia Airlines has a standard baggage allowance policy which allows passengers who want to travel with multiple bags. However, there are certain guidelines that one needs to follow to avoid unnecessary baggage charges.
- All passengers are allowed to carry two carry-on baggage as part of cabin baggage allowance of AirAsia flight booking.
- Both the baggage must not exceed the prescribed weight and measurement of 7 kg and 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm including handles, wheels, and side pocket respectively.
- The airline will not accept multiple items strapped and wrapped together as one piece of item as per mentioned in the baggage allowance.
- Passengers are also allowed to carry one personal item such as laptop bag, purse, backpack, handbag.
- The measurement of the bags must not exceed beyond 40 cm x 30 cm x 10 cm, otherwise, the bag will be considered as a carry-on bag instead.
- AirAsia Airlines advises passengers to carry a personal bag that can be kept under the seat of the passengers in front of them.
As per AirAsia checked baggage policy, the checked baggage allowance depends on the fare type purchased by the customer. Passengers travelling low fare are not allowed to carry any checked baggage until purchased. Value Pack and Premium customers can carry one baggage of 20kg. Passengers travelling in AirAsia Airlines Premium Flatbed can carry checked baggage weighing up to 40 kg.
- All bagages should adhere to the maximum prescribed measurement of the bags with 119 cm x 119 cm x 81 cm or 319 cm(126in) per bag.
- For AirAsia flight booking to the US and Canada, each bag should not weigh more than 20 kg.
- Each passenger can purchase baggage allowance up to 60 kg in each segment.
- 50 kg and 60 kg of baggage allowance is available for all flights except inbound and outbound flights from Bangladesh and Maldives.
- All passengers travelling to the United States will be able to purchase one or two pieces of baggage depending on weight and quantity of the luggage.
- Passengers travelling to Dhaka and Indonesia will be given complimentary baggage allowance.
Baggage Allowance for Infants and Children
- Infants below the age of 2 are not allotted with any baggage as per AirAsia Airlines baggage policy.
- Children of age 2 or above can carry adult baggage allowance.
- As per AirAsia baggage policy, baby strollers, buggies, and prams will be considered as checked baggage free of cost as long as it is used by the baby.
AirAsia Airlines Check-in Facilities
AirAsia Airlines check-in policy is quite flexible and offers multiple ways to check-in.
Passengers can check-in 14 days to 60 minutes before the scheduled departure.
The easiest way to check-in is via the official website of the airline or you can complete AirAsia flight booking check-in at the airport. The check-in of certain AirAsia flights depends on the carrier code.
- As per AirAsia Airline flight check-in policy, online check-in for all flights begins 14 days to 60 minutes before the departure of the flight.
- For AirAsia X fights, web check-in opens 14 days to 4 hours before the scheduled flight departure.
- Passengers travelling to the U.S cannot do self check-in and must check-in directly at the airport counter.
- Check-in time for AirAsia flights from China closes 2 hours before departure of the flight.
- For flights to/from Saudi Arabia, Australia, Myanmar, Thailand, check-in begins 10 days before the scheduled departure to 60 minutes before the flight is airborne.
- As for airport check-in, the airport check-in counter opens up 3 hours to 1 hour before the scheduled flight departure.
- For domestic AirAsia Airlines flights within Malaysia, the check-in counter opens up 2 hours to 1 hour before the flight departure.
- For flights departing from Japan, the check-in counter closes 30 minutes before the flight is airborne.
- As per AirAsia check-in policy, online check-in starts 14 days before scheduled flight departure and closes 60 minutes before the flight is airborne.
- You can check-in through the official website or simply use the AirAsia mobile application.
- All you need to do is download the application from the IOS Play Store or Apple Store. Online check-in enables customers to choose their desired seat in their AirAsia flight booking.
Travellers who prefer to check-in at the airport can either use the self-service kiosk check-in or directly check-in at the airport.
- The airline advises its passengers to reach the airport at least 2 hours before the scheduled AirAsia domestic flight and 3 hours before for International flight.
- The check-in starts 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure.
- Travellers can seek assistance from the staff present at the check-in counter at the airport related to anything from check-in, baggage, seat selection and more.
Cancellation and Refund
AirAsia ensures to offer its passengers a comprehensive and flexible cancellation guide in case of emergency.
- As per AirAsia Airlines flight cancellation policy, every fare type and class of service is under the cancellation policy.
- AirAsia Airlines cancellation policy does not cover the ticket booked through the website or via phone with the airline’s representative.
- Only US bound flights are eligible for 24 hours flight cancellation.
- In case of no-show, passengers are not eligible to receive any refund and the value of the ticket will be forfeited.
- Upon cancellation, passengers are only eligible to receive airport taxes and fees as part of refunds.
- In case of delay, cancellation or disruption, passengers are entitled to receive a complete refund in the original form of payment.
- As per AirAsia Airlines refund policy, upon cancellation, passengers have the option to choose travel credit or refund processed back to the original mode of payment.
- As per AirAsia refund policy, no flight refund would be offered for flights to Myanmar.
- As per AirAsia refund policy, any refund from flights within Malaysia, Indonesia and Japan will be refunded in the form of credit account only.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I cancel my AirAsia ticket for free?
AirAsia cancellation fee depends on the fare type that the customer has purchased. If a passenger is travelling in Low Fare, then they will have to pay a certain cancellation fee depending on the time of revocation. Passengers travelling in premium flex and premium flatbed can change their flight 2 hours before the scheduled departure unlimited times.
What is the change fee of AirAsia Airline?
Passengers can change their flight timing and date however, certain change fee and fare differences may be applicable depending upon the time of change and destination.
Does AirAsia have a 24 hour cancellation policy?
Yes, AirAsia does have a 24-hour cancellation policy which ensures a full refund if the booking has been cancelled within 24 hours of making it. However, that is only available for flights to/from the US and Canada.
How to get an AirAsia refund?
Refunds can only be claimed for refundable tickets and for those reservations that were cancelled within the free-window. You can request for a refund via manage booking on the official website or call the airline’s customer service to initiate a refund.
Does AirAsia refund cancelled flights?
Yes, if the flight has been cancelled voluntarily by the airline, then you can claim a full refund for the flight.
How do you cancel an AirAsia Airline flight?
You can cancel your flight via online method if your ticket is fully refundable.
What happens if an AirAsia flight is cancelled?
According to AirAsia flight refund policy, the airline is liable to pay monetary compensation for cancelled flights. However, the airlines will also compensate the passengers of the original flight with an alternate flight.
How to check-in for AirAsia flights?
There are two ways to complete the AirAsia online check-in either through the airline’s website or through the mobile app.
Are there any fees associated with checked baggage ?
AirAsia allows passengers travelling in low fare type to carry one personal item and one carry-on baggage weighing 7 kg only. While customers in Premium Flex and Premium Flatbed can carry two carry-on and two checked baggage weighing 20 kg each. However, all passengers can purchase checked baggage depending on their requirements.
What is the maximum baggage weight for checked baggage?
The checked baggage allowance depends on the routes and destinations purchased by the traveller. As per the checked baggage allowance in AirAsia, passengers are allowed to carry 20 kg and a total dimension of 62 inches (157cm) as checked baggage. Passengers will have to purchase the checked baggage allowance depending on the destination.