About Alaska Airlines
One of the important airlines in the United States, Alaska Airlines caters to the needs of the passengers. With its extensive list of routes and destinations, the airline has established itself as a reliable airline. Alaska Airlines is known for being the fifth largest airline in North America. The airline has over 115 destinations throughout the globe with over 289 aircrafts in its fleet.
The airline operates out of its five hubs with its primary hub being at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Alaska Airline is also headquartered in SeaTac, Washington within the metropolitan area of Seattle.
More About Alaska Airlines
Often called as the “Best US Airlines” by many awards, it proves that Alaska Airlines offer impeccable services and facilities to its customers. Alaska Airlines has a frequent flyer program called “Mileage Program “ that offers multiple benefits to the frequent flyer including reimbursements, extra facilities (Priority check-in and boarding), cabin amenities and more.
Alaska Air is also a part of the third-largest airlines alliance group Oneworld, which means customers can utilise the loyalty programs of other member airlines to get amazing deals in Alaska Airlines or vice versa.
Alaska Airlines offers its customers the liberty to choose fare which suits them best. Passengers can choose their seats from three cabin fares which includes Saver, Main (Standard Economy), and First Class.
- This is the most restricted fare class in Alaska Airlines.
- All the tickets in this fare are non-refundable.
- The baggage allowance is also quite limited as passengers are allowed to carry 1 personal item and 1 carry-on luggage.
- Passengers of this class will also have to board last to board the Alaska flight.
- There are no changes permitted in this fare type.
- Passengers with mileage program elite status can receive bonus miles, priority boarding, check-in benefits along with baggage allowance. However, this ticket does not allow any preferred seat selection or upgrade benefits with saver fares.
Main Cabin (Standard Economy)
- This fare type is the standard fare of Alaska Airlines which offers both non-refundable and refundable tickets.
- Passengers travelling in this class can choose their preferred seat right after check-in at no seat selection fee.
- This ticket also allows passengers to make changes in the booking at no additional charges.
- All the benefits of the mileage program are applicable on this Alaska Airlines booking such as priority check-in and boarding, extra baggage allowance, bonus miles point along with upgrade to premium class.
- This is the elite fare type of Alaska Airlines.
- This fare type allows multiple benefits to the passengers such as lounge access, priority check-in and boarding, ample baggage allowance, bonus mileage points.
- On select itineraries of 2,100 or more, passengers can access the Alaska Airline lounges around the world.
- This fare type also allows passengers to make change 24 hours before their scheduled flight without any additional cost.
- All the mileage benefits are also applicable on this fare type.
Alaska Airlines has a generous baggage allowance concept for passengers. Even people travelling Saver fare type can also travel with sufficient baggage. However, in case, it is always better to know about the baggage allowance so that you can avoid packing extra and paying extra.
Carry-on Baggage Allowance
All passengers can carry at least 1 carry-on baggage for free. The prescribed size for a carry-on luggage should not exceed more than 22 x 14 x 9 inches. However, there is no size regulation on personal item baggage.
In case, if passengers have a diaper bag or similar bag for a lap infant, then that piece of luggage will be counted as passengers carry-on baggage. Ultimately, Alaska Air does not offer any baggage allowance for lap infants.
Checked-in Baggage Allowance
Alaska Airlines has certain restrictions on checked baggage allowance. The weight of the baggage should not exceed 50 pounds (23 Kg) and the total dimension of the baggage should be 62 inches (158 cm).
|Domestic First Class
|Within the State of Alaska
|Alaska Airlines Credit Cardholders
|Gold Mileage Plan/ Oneworld Ruby and Sapphire Members
|Oneworld Emerald Members
Overweight and Oversize Baggage Fee
Alaska Airlines has certain restrictions and fees for oversized and overweight baggage. In case, if a passenger is overweight or oversize then they will have to pay additional baggage charges. If a bag is both overweight and oversized then only one fee will be charged.
- Additional Luggage (3+bags) – $100 bags
- Overweight Fee : $100 for bags weighing about 51 to 100 pounds (23 to 45 kilogram).
- Oversized Fee : $150 for bags over 63 to 115 inches (158 to 292 cm).
Price of Other Add-on Services
There are certain prices for each additional service in Alaska Airlines. These services may include seat selection, priority boarding, etc. These prices are subject to change depending on the specific criteria and Alaska Airlines flights routes.
|Ticket Receipt Request Research Time
|Partner Award Booking
|Depending on route and fare difference
|Same Day Change
|$50, $25 if travelling within California
|Premium Class Upgrade
|$15 depending on flight route
Alaska Airlines check-in policy is quite flexible and offers multiple ways to check-in. Passengers can check-in online from 24 hours to 60 minutes before the flight departure. During the check-in process, passengers must carry valid government identity proof along with passport, visa and electronic travel permission.
One of the most feasible ways to check-in for Alaska Airlines is the online web check-in method. The online web check-in starts 24 hours before the scheduled departure of flight. The online check-in ends 60 minutes before departure and till then passengers must collect their boarding pass. Passengers can check-in through the official website or simply use the Alaska Airlines mobile application. All you need to do is download the application from IOS Play Store or from Apple Store.
If you prefer to check-in at the airport then you can check-in for your flight at the Alaska Airline ticket counter.
As per Airlines, you should reach the airport 3 hours prior to departure for international flights and at least 2 hours prior for domestic flights. To check-in for Alaska flights, passengers will be required to present some important documents to check-in physically.
- Passport for international flights
- Government ID proof
Alaska Airlines Cancellation and Refund Policy
- As per Alaska Airlines cancellation policy, the cancellation will only be valid if the flight is scheduled within one year of purchase.
- The eligibility for revocation can depend on the arrival destinations.
- If the passenger has already completed check-in for the Alaska flight, then revocation is not applicable.
- Alaska Airlines also allows passengers to cancel their booking within 24 hours of making a reservation without additional cancellation fee.
- The airline does not allow any cancellation if the cancellation and flight departure is on the same day.
- As per Alaska Airlines refund policy, the cancelled ticket should have been purchased officially from the airline only.
- Saver fares are applicable for refund only if they are cancelled within 24 hours of booking.
- Refunds will only be issued in the original form of payment or in the form of travel credit.
- In case of flight delay for 3 hours or more, passengers can receive either a full refund or alternate flight by contacting the airlines
- Payment done by cash will be refunded within 20 business days while the payment made by credit card will be refunded within 7 business days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the ways to cancel Alaska Airlines flights?
You can cancel your flights in multiple ways both online and offline. However, it is advisable to cancel the booking via the same method it was booked in.
Can I cancel my Alaska Flight for free?
Yes, as per Alaska airlines cancellation policy, you can cancel your flight without any additional cost as long as you cancel it within the 24 hours of purchasing it. Saver fares are applicable for refund only if they are cancelled within 24 hours of booking.
What size of bag is free in Alaska Airlines?
Alaska Airlines has a generous baggage allowance concept for passengers. All passengers can carry at least 1 carry-on baggage for free. The prescribed size for a carry-on luggage should not exceed more than 22 x 14 x 9 inches.
What is the maximum size for carry-on baggage?
The maximum size for carry-on in 22 x 14 x 9 (55 cm x 35 cm x 22 cm) including handles and wheels. For passengers travelling with more baggage, they can purchase extra baggage allowance as per their need. The weight of the checked baggage should not exceed 50 pounds (23 Kg) and the total dimension of the baggage should be 62 inches (158 cm).
What is the maximum baggage weight for checked baggage?
The weight of the checked baggage should not exceed 50 pounds (23 Kg) and the total dimension of the baggage should be 62 inches (158 cm). Passengers can carry one carry-on and one checked-in baggage free of cost. However, additional charges will be applicable on second baggage according to different fare types.
Are there any fees associated with checked baggage?
Alaska Airlines offers standard baggage of one carry-on to every passenger including Saver fare. Main cabin and First class passengers can enjoy additional baggage of a second checked-in baggage without any additional fee. However, beyond second baggage, certain fees are applicable.
Does Alaska Airlines have business class?
Alaska Airlines has First class fare which includes multiple benefits like lounge access, priority check-in and boarding, ample baggage allowance, bonus mileage points. Also, passengers flying beyond 2,100 miles can get complimentary lounge access and other Mileage program elite member benefits.
Do I have to pay for seats in Alaska Airlines?
Passengers travelling in Saver fare cannot choose preferred seats in Alaska Air, Passengers in Main cabin and First class don’t have to pay any additional fee for seat selection.
Can I check-in with the Alaska mobile app?
Yes, Alaska mobile app offers more convenience and flexibility when it comes to check-in.
When I check-in for my Alaska Flight?
The Alaska Airlines check-in starts 24 hours prior to scheduled departure. Passengers can either check-in via online or offline method.