About Cathay Pacific
There are times when extreme weather and sudden emergencies force us to cancel our flights. The cancellation process is not that problematic, however, the squabble to get a refund can be tedious at times but that is not the case with Cathay Pacific. The airline has devised a comprehensive Cathay Pacific Cancellation Policy guide to help customers understand the cancellation and refund policy before cancelling their flight. It is advisable for customers to go through the policy once before booking the flight to avoid any lapse of value of the ticket.
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited, more widely known as Cathay Pacific is the largest carrier of Hong Kong with its head office in Hong Kong International Airport. In addition, Cathay Pacific Airlines operates on 190 destinations in more than 60 countries worldwide as of December 2021. The fleet size of Cathay Pacific fleet is 153 and consists of narrow and wide body aircraft made out of two aircraft families: Airbus and Boeing.
Cancellation Policy of Cathay Pacific
Cathay Flight cancellation policy allows passengers to have flexibility while travelling. The basic intent of the policy is to make sure that customers can change or cancel their bookings without much hassle. However, there are few regulations that passengers should abide by in case of cancellation to receive refunds.
- Passengers can cancel their tickets within 24 hours of booking the reservation given that the scheduled departure date is 7 days after. Pertaining to this case, no cancellation fee will be applicable on the ticket.
- Passengers are not qualified for refund if the flight ticket has lapsed or used.
- In case of cancelling partial tickets, the airlines will assess the value of the ticket remaining before issuing a refund as per Cathay Pacific refund policy.
- Passengers can seek compensation against the booking if their flight is delayed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
- In case of non-refundable tickets, passengers can seek future travel credit points of the same value of the ticket.
- According to Cathay Pacific cancellation policy, there are some reservations that are not eligible for refund and thus, in case of revocation, no amount will be refunded.
- As per the refund policy, refund of the cancelled flight depends on reservation, ticket price, destination and fare type.
- Flight tickets that remain used for two years are eligible for refund under certain circumstances.
- The travel credit against non-refundable tickets is only eligible till one year from the date of the issuance as per Cathay Pacific rebooking policy.
24 Hour Cancellation Policy of Cathay Pacific
Passengers can cancel their flight within 24-hours of booking without any cancellation fee given that the booking was being made 7 days prior to the actual departure.
- Passengers can claim full refund in case of 24-hours cancellation under the 24 hours free cancellation policy.
- This policy applies to flights to/from Canada as well as the United States.
- This policy is not applicable to the connecting flight with Cathay Pacific.
No-Show Cancellation Policy in Cathay Pacific
If you have missed your flight and your status is highlighted as no-show, you should follow this no-show policy.
- The Cathay Pacific no show policy applies to every fare type and cabin class.
- If the passenger wants to retain the travel fund, they need to inform the airline beforehand.
- In case of no-show, the airline will only refund the taxes and airport taxes as refund as per Cathay Pacific cancellation policy.
- The no show depends on different fare rules and cabin class. The rules may include, a no show fee and a change fee after no show, a no show-fee and cancellation fee after no show
Cancelled Flight Policy of Cathay Pacific
There are times when due to unforeseen situations, the airline is forced to cancel the flight. Situations like extremely bad weather, mechanical issues, Air Traffic Control clearance, shortage of crew, system malfunction. However, in these situations, passengers can claim compensation depending upon the distance of flight between the origin and destination.
Compensation for Cancelled Flight
If passengers are notified about the voluntary cancellation from the airlines prior to 14 days before scheduled departure, then according to Cathay Pacific flight refund policy, the airline is not liable to pay monetary compensation against it. However, the airlines will compensate the passengers of the original flight with an alternate flight.
- Passengers can receive compensation of €600 from the airlines in case of a cancelled flight.
- Passengers will have to pay 30% of cancellation charges to Cathay Pacific to process compensation.
- If the airline offers a substitute flight after the cancellation then the compensation amount will decrease by up to 50%.
Flight Delay and Compensation Policy of Cathay Pacific
If a passenger’s flight is delayed for a few hours then they are entitled to receive compensation.
- If the delayed time is more than four hours then according to Cathay Pacific flight refund policy the airlines will offer refreshments, meals , two phone calls and email facility to customers.
- If the flight is cancelled after five hours of delay, then the airlines will refund the total value of the ticket.
- If the flight is delayed for more than a day due to bad weather or other circumstances then the airlines will provide hotel accommodations and transportation to the affected passengers.
Monetary Compensation for Delay Flights
- Passengers are eligible to receive compensation of $275 per passenger for all flights under 1,500km.
- Passengers are eligible to receive compensation of $450 for all flights between 1,500km – 3,500km.
- Passengers are eligible to receive compensation of $675 for all flights above 3,500km as per Cathay Airlines refund policy.
Cancellation Policy Due to Denied Boarding
There are circumstances when the airline overbooks the flight which leads to the citation called denied boarding. In such cases, the airline offers compensation to the overbooked passengers.
- You are eligible to receive a full refund if a passenger is denied boarding even after a confirmed ticket.
- Passengers are eligible to receive compensation of $675 if there is no alternate flight within 3 hours .
- Passengers can receive compensation if they opt out to travel on the alternate flight.
Cancellation Fee in Cathay Pacific
Cathay Pacific offers flexible and convenient airfare to all passengers, however, the airline also charges a fee on non-refundable tickets under Cathay Pacific cancellation policy. You can also cancel your flight with a minimal revocation fee. The cancellation fee depends on various factors including time of revocation prior to scheduled departure, fare type and destination.
- The cancellation fee for Cathay Pacific tickets can be $150 incase of partially used tickets.
- Tickets that have expired will cost $200.
- In case a passenger misses its flight, then a no-show fee will be applicable that is around $50.
- If a passenger has booked the flight from a third-party website then the cancellation policy and fees will depend on third party platforms.
How to Cancel Cathay Pacific Flight?
There are several ways to cancel the flight either through an online method or you can opt for an offline method. As per Cathay Pacific cancellation and refund policy, every customer can manage and cancel their booking through their official website or app.
Online Method – Through Website
- Visit the official website of the airlines.
- Select the “Cathay Pacific Manage Booking” Section.
- Login with your credentials and access your account.
- Enter your booking details to manage your itinerary.
- Now, add your PNR and last name to find your booking details.
- Search for your booking details and cancel your reservation.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the cancellation process.
- Lastly, pay the cancellation fee if required and submit your cancellation request.
- You will receive confirmation of cancellation in your email.
You can simply call the customer support number for Cathay free cancellation. Upon calling, share your flight related details such as PNR, flight date and last name with the customer representative. You will receive a confirmed email regarding cancellation once the customer representative cancels your flight.
Cathay Pacific offers every passenger the convenience to cancel their flight at their own convenience. Now, you can cancel the flight through a simple process on your phone through a mobile app.
- Download the official Cathay Pacific app from Apple Store or Google Play store.
- Login to your account with your credentials.
- Now,click on manage booking to proceed with cancellation.
- Add details like PNR, flight number to proceed with Cathay Pacific Cancellation Policy.
- Lastly, follow the prompt to cancel your flight and click on cancel.
- You will receive a confirmation email regarding cancellation.
Offline Method – at Airport
Another way to cancel a Cathay Pacific airline flight is to cancel the booking at the airport. Share your flight details with the Cathay Pacific airport staff to cancel your booking.
Cathay Pacific Refund Policy
Cathay Pacific ensures to offer flexibility and convenience for its passengers in terms of refund. If a flight has been cancelled or delayed, then the airline offers options to refunds or choose alternate flights to its customer.
- As per Cathay Pacific Refund Policy, passengers can get full refund only if they cancel their reservation within 24 of booking given that the booking has been made 7 days prior to scheduled departure.
- If the reservation has been booked by a third party agent, then passengers can contact the third party website for a refund.
- In case of Cathay Pacific cancelling an award flight, passengers can contact Asia Miles.
- Once the cancellation is accepted and refund has been proceed, the ticket cannot be utilised.
- A passenger has two years of time to claim a refund against the cancelled ticket.
How to Initiate Cathay Pacific Refund?
You can request for a refund under Cathay Pacific flight refund policy via an online method or you can call the customer care of the airlines.
- Go to the official website of Cathay Pacific Airlines.
- Click on Manage Booking to view your cancelled flight details.
- Enter the booking reference into the given field and click on cancel flight.
- Once your ticket is cancelled, proceed to click on the refund tab.
- Fill out the Cathay Pacific refund form and submit it.
- Once you submit the form, the airlines will send you an email with a link to track your refund status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cancel a Cathay Pacific flight and get a refund?
According to Cathay Pacific cancellation policy, you can cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking it without any additional cancellation fee. By doing this, you can receive a full refund.
What is the cancellation fee in Cathay Pacific?
If a customer cancels their flight after 24 hours of risk free period, then they are likely to pay cancellation fee depending upon the destination, time between departure and cancellation, fare type and cabin class.
How long does it take to get a refund from Cathay Pacific?
The refund time depends on the payment method. If the payment has been done in cash then you are likely to receive it within 20 business days while payment done via credit cards are refunded within 7 business days.
Does Cathay Pacific have a 24 hours cancellation policy?
Yes, Cathay Pacific does have a 24-hour cancellation policy which ensures a full refund if the booking has been cancelled within 24 hours of making it.
How do you cancel a Cathay Pacific flight?
You can cancel your flight via online method if your ticket is fully refundable.
Can I get Cathay Pacific compensation for a 2 hours delayed flight ?
You are legally entitled to receive compensation if your Cathay Pacific flight was delayed. The airline has to offer service compensation or alternate flights to the same destination.
How to get a Cathay Pacific refund?
Refunds can only be claimed in the form of travel vouchers apart from a 24-hours full refund policy. You can request for a refund via manage booking on the official website or call the airline’s customer service to initiate a refund.
Does Cathay Pacific refund cancelled flights?
Yes, if the flight has been cancelled voluntarily by the airline, then you can claim a full refund for the flight.
What happens if a Cathay Pacific flight is cancelled?
According to Cathay Pacific flight refund policy, the airline is liable to pay monetary compensation for cancelled flights. However, the airlines will also compensate the passengers of the original flight with an alternate flight.
What is Cathay Pacific Cancellation Fee?
The cancellation cost usually depends on timing of revocation and type of fare purchased. The cancellation fee for Cathay Pacific tickets can be $150 incase of partially used tickets. In case a passenger misses its flight, then a no-show fee will be applicable that is around $50.